Saturday, 2 May 2015

Altaf says he won’t quit MQM

Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain has declared that from now on he will not talk about quitting the party leadership and will continue to lead the MQM come what may.
According to a press release issued on Saturday, he was speaking from London at a programme held in the United States to celebrate the MQM’s victory in a recent by-election in Karachi. Mr Hussain said he would not leave his party even if its office-bearers showed inefficiency and negligence.

Referring to his Thursday night’s speech in which he made controversial remarks, he said that on the basis of his one speech a wave of propaganda had been launched and people were talking about registering a case against him under Article 6 of the Constitution.


He said various political leaders also gave negative remarks against the army and the country but no action had been taken against them.

However, he added, in his case television channels had been asked to ban his speeches.

The MQM leader said he had apologised to all the institutions concerned and the people but he was being targeted.

Mr Hussain said his relations with his supporters would not be affected if a case was registered or even if the MQM was declared a banned organisation.


He said that despite all `suppressions’ and`discrimination’, the morale of the MQM’s workers and supporters could not be brought down.

India seeks UN intervention on Lakhvi's release

India has sought the United Nations’s (UN) intervention in the release of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the main suspect in Mumbai terror attack who is also believed to be the operational head of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LT), according to a report on The Hindu website.

New Delhi has termed Lakhvi's release as a violation of the norms of the global organisation and said that the UN should raise the matter with Pakistan.


The Press Trust of India report said that India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Asoke Mukherjee wrote a letter to the current Chair of the UN Sanctions Committee, Jim McLay, saying Lakhvi’s release by a Pakistani court was in violation of the 1267 UN resolution dealing with designated entities and individuals.

The sanctions measures apply to designated individuals and entities associated with terror groups including al Qaeda and LeT, wherever located.

The Lahore High Court on April 10 had dismissed the detention orders of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and ordered his release based on the lack of reliability of the sensitive information provided.

After the move was criticised in India, ISlamabad blamed New Delhi for the development.


“Inordinate delay in extending cooperation by India complicated the case and weakened the prosecution’s case,” FO Spokesperson Tasnim Aslam had said.

Lakhvi is among the seven persons charged with planning and helping carry out the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The six other men facing trial in Adiala Jail for their alleged involvement in Mumbai attacks are Hammad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Younas Anjum, Jamil Ahmed, Mazhar Iqbal and Abdul Majid.

Also read: US warns Pakistan over release of Lakhvi

At the time of the attacks, Lakhvi was believed to be the operational head of the banned Laskhar-e-Taiba that has been accused by India of carrying out the attacks in India's financial capital.

Lakhvi along with Zarar Shah was allegedly the key planner of the attack that killed 166 people.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...